Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Vinegar Can Be Used For All Kinds of Things!



In my efforts to have a more natural lifestyle at home, I have also been trying to use more natural cleaning products instead of so many harsh chemicals. It has been a welcome change to not feel the need to wear a gas mask while cleaning my home. Frankly, some of the natural stuff works way better than any store bought cleaner I have ever tried!! One of the best products I have come across is White Distilled Vinegar. I am not kidding when I say this stuff literally has HUNDREDS of uses!! I won't be listing all of them but, I will be sharing those that I have tried and found to work.

  • Cleaning: When I say cleaning, I mean just that! Vinegar is great for wiping down counters and hard surfaces as well as mopping the floors. I have a spray bottle mixed with equal parts water and vinegar. I keep it handy for anytime that I need to wipe up a spill, or clean the counters. When it comes to mopping, I add 1 cup to my bucket of water. Yes, I know the vinegar stinks to high heaven but, I promise you, once it dries, you can't smell it anymore. As far as my floors go, I have all tile in my house and with 3 small kids and 3 dogs, I am mopping several times a day. They always come out clean and streak free!
  • Laundry: Adding 1/2 cup of vinegar to laundry is really beneficial. It takes odors our of the laundry (including the smell of mildew) and helps to freshen and remove stains as well. If your towels are not quite as fluffy as they used to be, it could be due to the build up of soap for regular washing. Vinegar helps cut that build up and freshens your towels. If you have sweat stains on your shirts, apply 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water to the spot. Rub it gently and then toss in the wash
  • Clean Mirrors & Windows: Vinegar is AWESOME when it comes to cleaning mirrors and windows. I use the same spray bottle that I already have mixed up for my general cleaning. Instead of using paper towels, use tissue paper. Your glass will be clean and streak free everytime without the harsh smell of ammonia in most window cleaners.
  • Unclog Your Drain: One thing I can not stand to buy is drain cleaner. I mean it is literally just pouring money down the drain. Let's face it, the stuff isn't cheap either. Vinegar is great for unclogging or degreasing your drains!! Heat the vinegar (adjust the amount, depending on how tough the clog is) Pour 3 tablespoons of baking soda down the drain and then follow with the vinegar. It will bubble up and out of the drain a bit, but don't worry, it won't be much. Do not add water right away. Let the vinegar and baking soda work and bubble away all of the grease and grime in the drain. I follow that with a pot of boiling water just to get anything that might be left and make sure it gets washed away.
  • Clean Your Dishwasher: Add one cup of vinegar to your empty dishwasher and run it through a cycle. It will clean the inside of the dishwasher and get rid of the soap build up. Not only does this get rid of any lingering odors but it also cleans everything inside so it can work properly.
  • Clean Your Glassware: Over time, glassware tends to get a soapy buildup and then begins to look cloudy instead of shiny and clear. Mix half vinegar and half water in a sink and soak glassware for 20 mins. Rinse with plain water afterwards and it will look as good as new!
  • Clean Your Coffeepot: This is a big one for me! I am always worried about the hidden goop and even mold inside the coffee pot. I use mine daily not only for making coffee but tea as well. Fill the pot with 1 cup of vinegar and the rest water. Run it through a regular cycle and then follow with a full pot of just water and run through a full cycle again. This will clean all of the parts you can not reach and keep everything in good working order.
  • Killing Weeds: One of my flowerbeds in my front yard is with rock instead of mulch and it seems like weeds just sprout up all over the place in that bed. I don't want to use roundup due to it not being very environmentally friendly and also the risk of killing everything else in sight. Spray straight vinegar on the weeds and it will kill them. For me, I had to do this 2 days in a row for them to die but it worked like a charm!
  • Soothe a Bee Sting: Bee stings hurt! No matter how old you are, they just hurt!! Soak a cotton ball with vinegar and dab it on the sting to soothe it and take some of the sting away.
  • Boiling Eggs: Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the water you are going to boil your eggs in and it will prevent them from cracking.
  • Animal Urine: Blot up the urine and flush with clean, lukewarm water several time. Spray with 50/50 water and vinegar mixture, blot with a clean cloth, apply clean water again, blot and let air dry.

My new adventure is a learning experience each and every day and as I try vinegar for new things, I will post another blog with even more uses!!

12 comments:

  1. I had no idea vinegar was so useful!! I really need to try using it to clean and to make my towels fluffy, I'm always trying to make them fluffy again, to no avail!!
    And thank you for waking me up to it being a good weed killer; our garden is over run with weeds, but we can't use weed killers as we worry they'll harm our dog :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I tried it for weeds. We have 3 toddlers and 3 dogs so I needed something that would be safe. I simply do not have the time or patience to pull the weeds lol!!

      Delete
  2. I use vinegar for so much!!! Just wish it smelt better lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try adding a little bit of lemon essential oil. I add it to my spray bottle for cleaning. It is very refreshing!

      Delete
  3. I had no clue vinegar could be used for cleaning your coffee pot! I have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it in my coffee pot religiously! I am always so worried about mold and such that I can not see!

      Delete
  4. This is fascinating. I didn't know vinegar could be used for so much. I need to use it to clean my coffee pot. That's one thing I never know how to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does wonders!! It leaves the actual pot sparkling clean!

      Delete
  5. I love vinegar as a natural cleaner. It's also great for getting out icky smells! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone told me they actually eat vinegar, I was appalled! I thought it was only used in cleaning. Go figure, some people use it as a food product as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea that you could use vinegar to clean a drain! I will be putting this particular tip into action tomorrow! Great post as usual Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard vinegar is great for cleaning but I had no idea it had this many uses! I'm amazed. So much cheaper than most chemical filled cleaners too. I have heard vinegar being used when poaching eggs, it firms the egg and stops it creating a huge mess of egg white (or so I have heard). Great post, must go clean now!

    Bennie Dixon @ Safeclean Wandsworth

    ReplyDelete