Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Greatest Woman I've Ever Known

My Blog Challenge for Day 4 is my greatest childhood memory. As I was sitting and thinking about what I should write about, I was flooded with SO many memories and I had a really hard time settling on just one I should write about. The more I thought, the more I realized that one person kept flooding back into my mind in all of these memories... my Mamaw (this is what I called my grandmother).

When I think of her, the word amazing always comes to mind. She passed away 18 years ago and I would give anything to have her with me today. To meet my kids, to see the woman I have become, to be a part of our life. Growing up, I spent more time at my mamaw's house than I did my own. Anytime I didn't have school, I was there!

My sister and I used to make up dance routines. Now looking back I know that we were such a hot mess. We would then perform these routines for my mamaw and she would sit and watch every single move and tell us over and over what an amazing job we did.

She was an encourager. She always taught me to do my best no matter what the situation was, to always put my best foot forward. She was always very well put together, no matter the day of the week or if she was leaving the house or not. I do not remember her as being someone that wore alot of makeup but she always had her nails nicely filed and painted and her hair done. She could not have pierced ears (her body just rejected them) so she wore clip ons. No matter how much she loved her earrings, she always let us play dress up with them.

Still to this day, every time I eat a peppermint, I am flooded with memories of her. She had a small candy jar that was always full when we would arrive. She just left it out on the table for us to take one as we wanted. For us kids, this was a HUGE deal! 

Sunday mornings were always spent in church with her with a trip to the local burger joint afterwards, on the way home.

I can not help but think, if she were here today, life would be so different. My family would still be together. She was the glue they kept everyone involved in each others lives. Now, everyone has gone their own separate ways and barely speak at all.

While she is not here with me, she has instilled so many morals and values in me at such a young age. Characteristics I still hold on to today. That, is absolutely priceless!


Do you have someone that was a positive influence on your life? Are they still alive today?

No comments:

Post a Comment